It was once the head office of the “Joint-stock corporation Seebad Heringsdorf”, founded by the brothers Hugo und Adalbert Delbrück in 1872, which goal was to make out of the small fishing village a popular seaside resort by selling small land pieces. Since 1991 the red-brick building behind the rehabilitation clinic and hotel is the seat of the Maxim Gorki library. In 2006 it has become the communal library of the three Seaside Resorts. There is only one antique safe door which reminds the beginning of the glorious bathing culture times, when valuable shares were kept behind that door.
The shelves of the library are full of children and also adults literature. Besides belles lettres there is also a well-equipped non-fiction books section with a lot of information about the island and this area. The library is open on Mondays and Tuesdays and on Thursdays and Fridays from 10:00 a.m. till 12:00 p.m. and from 2:00 p.m. till 5:00 p.m.
Maxim Gorki communal library
Delbrückstraße 69 | 17424 Heringsdorf